Thomas Amphlett built the stable block in around 1760 funded by his activities in the East India Company. A beautifully designed building, the stable block has some notable features including very fine brickwork.
Interestingly the massive barns attached, complete with two full size threshing floors and other agricultural facilities, were far larger than necessary for the size of the estate at the time.
The stable block restoration began in 2006 when the external front H of the stables, windows and roof were restored with the aid of a grant from English Heritage.
Unfortunately the rest of the stable block which is on the at risk register with English Heritage as a 5 hard hat rating, is rapidly falling down and is too unsafe to allow visitors access.
We are currently in discussions with English Heritage about the continuing restoration of the Stable Block and are continuing with the restoration work.